This site houses my creative summary on the second of the 19-volume Biographical Memoirs.

Biographical Memoirs is the biography of St. John Bosco.

Thanks for dropping by.

-Novice Donnie

Monday, December 10, 2007

Alarm at the City Hall

Thoughtless people seeing Don Bosco as he travel here and there with a crowd of boys began to level criticism against him. They grumbled that he was making the boys irresponsible and disobedient to their parents by merely roaming around from one place to another. On the contrary, the boys of Don Bosco readily observed Don Bosco's orders. They're always disciplined.

The unfair observation of the people reached the city hall because of these.

Below is the exchange between the marquis and Don Bosco:

Marquis: I am told that the meetings of your boys are a danger to the public order and peace, so I can no longer permit them.

Don Bosco: My sole purpose is to improve the lot of these poor young. I ask for no money. I teach them religion and proper behavior, and by this means I hope to cut down on the number of juvenile delinquents.

Marquis: You're quite mistaken, my good father. You're only wasting your time. We receive a lot of complains about you. I can't allow further meetings.

Don Bosco: The results I have obtained so far assure me that my efforts are not in vain. I've helped many to learn a skill or a trade under some good craftsman, not only for their god but also for the advantage of their families and society in general.

Marquis: Please now, Don Bosco. Obey me at once and promise to disband the group.

Don Bosco: please do me this favor, marquis, not only for myself but for the sake of so many poor boys who, without the Oratory, would probably come to a bad end.

Marquis: That's enough. The matter is closed.

That same day, Don Bosco went to the archbishop to tell him of his interview with Marquis Cavor—the vicar of the city. The good prelate urged him to be patient.

In the meantime, the marquis had heard from Archbishop Fransoni himself that truly it was with his consent that Don Bosco had begun the Oratory.

No comments: